So I know I’ve been gone for a while, but I’ve been really busy with school, so I do apologize for that. However, I am back just in time for Halloween season!!! I wanted to give you all a quick list of films that I love to watch during October. Check below for my list and be sure to comment and leave some of your favorites as well.
1. Hocus Pocus- Who doesn’t love this family classic. This movie never gets old!
2. Somebody Help Me- Now you all may not know of this film, but it features singers, Marques Houston and Omarion, and scares the mess out of me every time I watch it!
3. Return to Halloweentown- This is an all around great family Halloween movie, it definitely gets me in the Halloween spirit.
4. Leprechaun In The Hood- Just Creepy! But, I can’t stop watching it. Kind of like covering one eye and watching with the other because you wanna see what happens next.
5. Marlon Wayan’s A Haunted House- Now this movie is a mixture of comedy and may scare you a little bit. Who doesn’t love a good comedy?
So now that you know my top 5, what are some of your favorite films to watch during Halloween season?
Not bad for free products to test. I’m so excited to try the Biore face scrub. Thanks for checking out today’s post. I’ll let you know how the products are once I try them all.
Today I wanted to give you all a DIY idea to inspire you to create boards that you can look at daily to inspire your productivity. What you will need:
-Magazine cutouts that inspire you or just nice to look at (inspirational words, clothes, places to travel, etc.)
-Glue or tape (either will get the job done, I just prefer tape)
-Planner, workbook, and/or journal
1. Simple search through the magazines and find things that will inspire you or things you want to do someday.
2. Once you have your cutouts, begin to place them on your platform.
3. Proceed to glue or tape the items to the platform and fill the platform Below is an example of a few mood collages I created myself. I hope you all enjoy this activity. I pray that it helps you build confidence and peace in your direction in life.
So I wanted to tell you all that if I knew then, what I know now, I probably would have at least $100,000 saved (exaggerating, but not really). I know that seems like a high number, but if you actually ever look back on how much you spend frivolously, you may find that you’d have a lot of extra money to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. I truly wish I had learned the importance of saving because I would have been better prepared when I walked out of my mother’s house at the age of 18. I knew absolutely nothing about how to save (although it was always a thought), I definitely learned just how serious it was when I became a young adult. When I received my first job, I began putting work before school. Although I graduated with a decent GPA for my past high school years worth of work, if I hadn’t been so knew to the idea of having my own money, I would have been more prepared for difficult times in life. My mother didn’t have much while raising us, but she definitely made due with what she had and parents can only teach you as much as they’ve been taught themselves. I didn’t wear name brand clothes like my friends and if I did, it was later on when the brand was no longer popular. I say all of this to say that black people are taught that we come from “slavery” and they don’t explain much before that, then there comes growing up in projects and living off of government assistance. Once you finally reach the point of having your own money, it can be difficult to know what to do with it. Now if I had been wiser, I would’ve saved for my first apartment, college, or even some vacations that I wanted to take to celebrate my completion of high school. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case and because I hadn’t saved I ran into financial difficulties. Since I know now, I will teach my children at a young age about the importance of saving, money makes the world go around and that’s something that we all unfortunately have to understand. You can not feed, cloth, or have a home without money and if there ever is a time where my child decides to leave the nest and create a life for themselves, I want them to be as prepared as possible. Even if it begins with saving a few dollars every pay check ($5-10), it will become a habit and the more you are used to saving, the amounts that you save, will get bigger. It all takes time and serious practice, but you can teach yourself if you work hard at it. Unfortunately, in life nothing is handed to you, some have it better than others, but we all must work hard to receive the lives that we deserve.
Later Queens !
So I was nominated for the Mystery Blogger Award by Rae from raechic.com. I’ve never been nominated for anything like this so I’m super excited and I truly appreciate another blogger recognizing me, so thanks again Rae!
-Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
-Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well.
-Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
-Answer the questions from the nominator
-Nominate 10-20 people
-Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog
-Ask nominees any 5 questions of your choice
-Share a link to your best post(s)
The creator of this award is Okoto Enigma from okotoenigmasblog.com Thanks for this queen for creating such a fun award that allows bloggers to get to know other bloggers better.
3 Things About Myself:
1) I have a true passion for fashion, I used to want to be a designer growing up.
2) I enjoy reading a good book, but it has to be really good or I’ll take months to read it.
3) I’m from Ohio
Questions I’ve Been Asked:
1) How did you come up with your blog name?
I actually went through a bunch of names before I chose this one. But, I really wanted something that represented unity and empowerment. So originally my blog name was gonna be To(get)her meaning to-get-her together. But, I realized that it would be too difficult, so I decided on Together Queens and fell in love with the name.
2) What Inspired You To Start Blogging?
What inspired me to start blogging was the idea of connecting with other women who love to share ideas, thoughts, and fun things relating to fashion.
3) Offer A Piece of Advice To A New Blogger.
My advice would be to just go for it and don’t stop even when you find yourself getting writers blog.
4) Offer A Piece Of Advice To A Seasoned Blogger.
Always remember that you had to start somewhere as well, so remain humble.
5) What Is One Thing You Wish You Had Known Before You Started Blogging?
I wish I had knew the importance of creating an outline of how I wanted things to go because I kind of just winged it. However, I don’t regret because in blogging you kind of learn as you go.
My Best Posts
Who I’m Nominating:
My Questions For My Nominees:
1) Who inspires you the most and why?
2) What’s your main goal to reach with your blog?
3) What’s an important lesson you’ve learned from blogging?
4) What topic do you excited to write about the most (food, fashion, inspiration, etc.)?
5) What’s your favorite food?
I am again very thankful for this nomination and hope you all enjoy creating your responses. Let’s keep the fun going!
So today I just wanted to discuss the issue of seeing people of color (POC) not playing enough postive roles in films. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that POC are only present in films that present them in a negative light, but I truly can remember more films that portrayed POC in a negative way more than I’ve seen positive roles played. For example: Halle Berry in Losing Isaiah (love this movie, but still), Viola Davis in The Help, Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years A Slave, the list goes on and on. I know you may say “Well they chose to play the role” which is very true, however, if these are the roles that are constantly being presented to POC they aren’t going to give up the chance to play one of few roles presented to them. Every film that I’ve named are all very good films, I just believe that the roles should be more diverse and not only recognized because they touch on topics like slavery or being a drug addict. I was really happy when Anika Noni Rose played Princess Tiana in Princess and The Frog. This was finally a breakthrough in Hollywood. To be completely honest I can’t think of any others off the top of my head. All that I’m saying is that there needs to be more POC playing positive roles because younger generations see these roles being played and aren’t really thinking of other possibilities outside of what they see on tv. However, if you ladies have an opinion on this topic please feel free to express it below, I really want to know your thoughts on it.